2019-07-11




Usually, a lot of ceramics are glazed and fired to be smooth and have a stable surface to be useful.
But actually, the glaze itself has a lot of potential for experimentation and expression.
The glaze recipe has many possible variable.
In my work, I don’t use general glazes in the usual way. I often use a glaze that does not contain vitreous glass-like ingredients and paint on raw materials of glaze directly or without mixing well. I hope for bold and delicate chemical reactions.



On the surface of my ceramic pieces, there are sometimes marks of air bubbles and a rust-like texture and patina. They are caused by the transformation of materials fired in a kiln.
When I glaze my pieces, I don’t paint the whole surface of the piece uniformly. I dip and soak so they become streaky, and then add more raw materials for effect.
I paint several pieces of paper with glaze and attach them to create unique texture when the piece is fired. Subtle color and texture are created by trying various methods.